Companion Retriever Hunting Challenge
The Companion Retriever
An activity with the focus on the typical owner/handler of a sporting
dog that is a family companion as well as a waterfowl hunting partner.
Designed to encourage having fun and understanding exactly what you
want of your retriever and not based on obtaining the traditional hunt
test/field trial titles!
- No professional dog trainers allowed to handle dogs.
- Dogs currently holding any Hunt Test or Field Trial Titles are
eligible to run in Level 3 only, and the handlers will participate
in the handlers drawing, but, they will not be judged for trophies.
- Retriever and Sporting breeds only.
- Actual waterfowl hunting scenarios for both field and water
hunting when the venue permits both.
- Test will be set up and explained by Jim Beverly.
- Scoring will take into consideration all phases of the hunt
including the dog/handler relationship.
- Handlers must be at least 12 yrs old to participate and be willing
to use their waterfowl calls and handle & fire popper loads in a
12 ga. Shotgun. Primers or other means of producing the sound of
the gun will be used depending on the venue. There will be NO
gunfire at the bird launch location as you would have in most hunt
test or field trial. That would not be a true hunting
situation. A short goose or duck call will be blown to simulate
an incoming bird or birds.
- There will be three levels:
- Level one will consist of single retrieves in an actual goose
and duck hunting scenario.
- Level two will consist of more difficult scenarios, but again,
real hunting situations.
- Level three is for dogs that hold hunt tests or field trial
titles but will not be scored for trophies.
- Judging will be done by Jim Beverly.
- Each participant will be assigned a number in each level.
- Contest scenario will be shown prior to running but not until after
everyone has registered. Each handler must decide which level
to enter based on just the information in #8.
- Registration fees (if any) and the decision on ribbons, plaques or
trophies will be made by sponsoring organizations. A drawing
for prizes will be held for all participants regardless of their
score or placement in the Challenge. Prizes will be determined
by the sponsoring organizations.
- Participants will be encouraged to treat the contest as though they
were actually on a hunt.
- A DVD of the event will be available.